The peacock is a unique bird, being one of the most fascinating animals on the planet. Native to Asia and Africa, this colorful bird represents love and virility. Want to know more about the meanings of peacock and check out a gallery of male and female tattoos featuring the bird?
To the ancient Greeks and ancient Romans, the eyes that peacocks have on their tails represented the stars watching everything what happened on Earth.
What is the meaning of peacock tattoos?
The peacock uses its fuzz for the seduction of their partnerships. Because of this, one of the first meanings is seduction. They also use fluff to intimidate predators, also representing courage.
Because of the great regeneration capacity of their feathers, peacocks are associated with resurrection and rebirth in spiritual traditions such as Christianity.
For Hindus, the bird is a symbol of success, being the mascot of the goddess of good fortune Lakshmi.
Peacocks are animals capable of feeding on toxic plants, dangerous insects and deadly snakes. Because of this resistance, they are listed in some cultures as animals able to drive away more spirits. Because of this meaning, the ancient medievals used an amulet with a peacock feather to protect themselves from witches.
For many people, the bird also represents tolerance and diversity and can be one of the symbols of the LGBT+ community.
In Japanese culture, these birds symbolize love, protection and generosity.
On the other hand, peacock feathers are commonly tattooed by writers, journalists, screenwriters and intellectuals in general who use writing as a craft.
The peacock was also an important animal in the culture of the alchemists of the Middle Ages, who used peacock feathers in their recipes, symbolizing renewal and healing. The peacock was thought of as a kind of phoenix.
In Buddhist religion, this bird represents the expanding consciousness. The eyes of the feathers represent the concept of vigilance. In Christianity, the eyes of the pen also take on the idea of the eyes of the church or the eyes of God in eternal vigilance.
In China, peacocks are symbols of royalty, nobility and luxury.
These are the keywords that represent the main meanings of peacock tattoos:
Peacock Tattoo Styles
Check out some different styles you can try on your peacock tattoo:
- Tribal: the tribal style is a popular choice, especially when it comes to animal tattoos. The tribal style dates back to the ancient traditions of tattoos made as a rite of passage and status. This is a recommended style if you want to make a peacock with black ink only.
- White ink: peacock tattoos in white ink represent the resurrection and purity of Christ.
- New School: the new school style is a modern tattoo aesthetic. One of the great names in the style is Jesse Smith, who composes works that resemble comic books, always with very bright colors and a chaotic environment. Because the peacock is a colorful animal, this style can look really cool with this animal.
- Stick-n-poke: In this style, the artist uses a needle to make simple designs, usually with thick lines and black ink. This is a perfect style for those looking for more delicate peacock tattoos.
- Realism: this style requires a skilled professional, but it can surprise with the lines, shading and depth, which bring the animal to life on your skin.
- Blackwork: the blackwork style mixes elements of tribal tattoos with minimalism and the exclusive use of black ink. It’s perfect for more conceptual projects with peacocks composed of geometric shapes.
- Geometric style: how about combining circles, triangles and rectangles to make a real masterpiece on your skin? That’s what the geometric style proposes, with a more abstract and conceptual footprint.
- Graffiti: this is a style that was once a big trend in the world of tattoos and has been recovering its space. The idea of the style is to mix concepts and elements of graffiti art with tattoos.It was created in Germany by Simone Plaff and Volko Merchky, mixing collages, chaotic elements, ink splashes and calligraphic writing.
Where to tattoo?
These are the best places for a female peacock tattoo:
- Behind the ear.
These are the best places for a male peacock tattoo: